February 19, 1821
United States acquires Florida from the Spanish for $ 5 million in Spanish property claims against Americans in the Treaty of St. Ildefonso.
June 21, 1821
East Florida Coffee Land Association is organized in Philadelphia to grow coffee, cocoa and tropical fruits in Florida. Their petition for land is turned down by Congress.
Cape Florida Lighthouse begins operation.
Second Seminole War begins, lasting until 1842.
Fort Dallas is established as a naval base at the mouth of the Miami river allowing the US Navy to scout the Biscayne Bay region. In the later stages of the Second Seminole War US Army forces under the command of Lt. Colonel William S. Harney launched a foray from the Fort deep into the wilderness near the site of present day Monkey Jungle in pursuit of Sam Jones, a legendary Seminole leader.
Dr. Henry Perrine receives a grant of land and township south of Miami.
December 25, 1838
Perrine Family arrives in Miami.
August 4, 1840
Perrine is killed during a Native attack led by Chekieka.
Population has grown from 5,000 (1821) to 60,000 but little of it in South Florida.
Henry E. Perrine takes control of developing Grant.
Perrine sails to California to build saw mills
Charles Howe, a business partner of Dr. Perrine, settles 36 Bahamian families on the Grant calling the area Perrinesville.
John and Mary Addison are rumored to have settled at the Indian Hunting Grounds. They are commonly referred to as the first modern settlers of the area. 1876- Perrine, having lost much of the family fortune, returns to Perrinesville in hopes of recouping his losses. He offers 20 acres to any settlers who will come and settle.
Perrine is unable to bear the wilderness life and leaves Perrinesville. Others who came with him upon his return stay and settle.
Dr. William Cutler buys a 600-acre tract adjoining the Perrine Grant on the North. He made three attempts to settle the area.
Population of Cutler reaches 75.
William Fuzzard, a settler brought in by Cutler, cuts a pass that started at present Coral Reef Drive (sw152st) and followed the jog of present Old Cutler Road and Ingraham Highway to Coconut Grove.
Fuzzard also applied for a post office further south than the one in Coconut Grove. He put Cutler on the application.
Squatter’s Union set up to protect families that had settled from the Perrine heir’s that wanted their land back to sell for profit.
Cutler School founded.
Perrine-Peters Methodist Church founded.
Richmond Inn built near Deering Estate and the public dock that was the main entrance to Cutler. Dr. Cutler died on May 12, 1899 at the age of 61. He did not marry or have any children and was never able to establish a permanent home here.
Railey-Milam Hardware, an early, prominent Miami business, founded.
Florida East Coast Railroad decides to pass through Perrine instead of Cutler.
Many blacks come to South Dade as members of railroad construction and survey crews. Many took residence in McClain’s Addition.
Perrine Post Office opened with George Sullivan serving as postmaster.
Brown and Moody General Store opens in Peters.
Homestead founded by FEC as a settlement for railroad families.
Drake Lumber Mill founded by Gaston Drake at Princeton. In ten years it would become the most important business in South Dade County.
Perrine School founded.
Detroit founded. Incorporated as Florida City (1914).
Fuchs Homestead Bakery and Meat Market opened later moving in 1934.
Massive citrus canker outbreak severely hurts South Dade crops.
The Perrine District School opens for students.
Rice Gang steals $6,500 from the Bank of Homestead.
First airfield in South Dade built in Homestead. Cutler Aerial Gunnery Field completed. Later named after Victor Chapman the first US airman killed in WWI.
Land Boom hits Miami. US1, Dixie Highway completed to Key Largo.
Deering Estate finished.
USDA buys Chapman Field from Army. Research headed by David Fairchild.
September 18, 1926
Great Hurricane hits Miami destroying much of South Dade’s crops and groves.
Great Depression begins.
Rare Bird Farm opens south of present Kendall and US1.
WPA builds a variety of buildings at Chapman Field.
Perrine Community House built by WPA.
Parrot Jungle and Monkey Jungle opens.
Matheson Hamock Park begun by Civilian Conservation Corps. Finished in 1938.
Fairchild Tropical Gardens dedicated.
Florida City Farmers Market opens.
Richmond Naval Air Station built on present day Metrozoo.
Homestead Army Airfield taken over by US government.
Army leases portion of Chapman Field to Embry-Riddle Corp.
Kendall’s Civilian Conservation Corps camp converted into a German POW camp.
Fruit and Spice park opened in Redlands.
Massive Hurricane strikes South Dade. Destroys many structures including Richmond Naval Air Station.
University of Miami opens a South campus which closes 1948.
Harry S. Truman dedicated Everglades National Park.
Miami Serpentarium opened.
Perrine incorporated at a meeting in the packing house of R.P. Barfield.
The city limits encompassed Peters and Rockdale (North of Perrine).
USDA purchases land that becomes Agricultural Testing Station on Old Cutler.
Post war growth of Suburbia. Cutler Ridge, Leisure City, Amvet City, Richmond Heights, 1950- Cauley Square opened.
Bayfront Park dedicated.
Palmetto Golf Course opens.
Air Force takes control of Homestead Air Force Base.
Seadade oil refinery proposal defeated.
Cutler Ridge Shopping Center opens.
Perrine fails to re-incorporate.
Biscayne National Park established.
Severe drought devastates South Dade.
FPL completes Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant including cooling canals in South Dade.
Larry and Penny Thompson Park opened south of what is now Metrozoo.
Grand Re-opening of Cutler Ridge mall.
Biscayne National Monument designated National Park.
Dade County buys Charles Deering Estate.
Weeks Air Museum opened.
Population of South Dade 375,000 with more than ½ of many South Dade communities’ populations living below the poverty line.
August, 24, 1992
Hurricane Andrew devastates South Dade. 30,000 residents leave the area.
Failed attempt to incorporate Perrine as Palmetto Bay.
Sadly, East Perrine is incorporated as the Villages of Palmetto Bay.